Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Things gained and lost since TBI

I have lost and gained weight without YO YO dieting.  I couldn’t do a yo yo now, too much concentration.

Lost ability to concentrate on things.  I used to love reading!!  LOVED it.  Now it is almost a chore.  Even though  I still try.

Lost job
Lost friends
Lost self confidence
Lost Life

Gained sarcasm. YES even more than I already had.  WATCH OUT!!!!
Gained some balls and I guess in that aspect that could be why I lost some friends
Gained the knowledge of who my true friends are.

Lost the ability to go to new places without freakin out.  I need someone to go with me or I get so confused.  After first time I am ok.

Gained the knowledge that stubborness is a good thing since it got me this far

Lost ability to be able  to answer a question.

Gained dis-inhibition  LOL.  THIS IS A FUN ONE!!!!!!!

Lost internal organ.  GOOD BYE Galbladder, nice knowing ya!

Gained titanium in head.  HELLZ yeah!!  Guess I will be head to the wall instead of balls to the wall.

Lost shame.  Pretty much every doc and or nurse in UPMC system has seen me nekkid and has heard my potty mouth.  LOL.  Pretty sure most of my friends have gotten a show too.  I ROCK!!!

Gained more knowledge of the brain and its functions than I ever thought possible.

Gained a true understanding of my grandmother when she was alive.  She had alzheimers.  I now understand how she couldn’t remember what happened an hour ago yet could remember stuff from 20 years ago.  I get that now.

Gained a better understanding of the kids I used to work with that were autistic.

I know I joke about my Alzheimers brain and autistic brain, but it is true.  I don’t remember things in the moment, yet I remember something from years ago.  New places freak me out, lack of routine is killing me.  Hello Autistic Granny.

Gained a friend in real life and a whole virtual family.  My virtual TBI family means so much to me.  Michelle, Toni, Barb, Brian, Wally, NjGirl, the rest of the crew!!!

Hopefully someday I will think of more things gained!!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, you sure do learn who your friends are! Its been 2.5 years since my husband was shot & suffered his TBI & I have seen many of his so called "friends" fade away. I have also seen a few become even better friends than they were before. Bill misses working too. I'm always tryin g to find things he can help me with so he feels like he's pulling his weight. I think its harder in that aspect for a man because they feel they are supposed to be the bread winners & do the heavy work around the house. I hate, hate, hate most of his chores but I try not to complain where he can hear me. LOL

    One good thing that came out of his TBi was that he & I became closer than ever. He & I have both learned how things can change in the blink of an eye & life is too short to argue over silly things.

    I've also learned more than I ever thought possible about the brain & the workings of hospitals. I've learned to be his advocate because although he has no memory problems, he has a severe speech aphasia & has trouble getting thoughts from brain to mouth. I really hate when people talk over him like he's not even there! Grrr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog. I work at InRETURN (www.inreturn.org). We employ TBI survivors. When our associates return from winter break I will be sharing your stories with them. If you would like to learn more about our associates, there struggles and successes, you can check our our blog here: http://inreturnorg.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Im just a random googlelink clicker from norway. I just wanted to say that you gained the ability to teach people like me about what TBI is all about. I found your blog werry eucational and you truly rock for sharing this with us randoms.

    Again You rock!

    Best regards Thomas from Norway.

    ReplyDelete